Pumpkin lattes, pumpkin bread, caramel apples, apple crisp, cinnamon sweet potato bake. The foods of fall are plentiful in Northwest Michigan. There are numerous local farms to pick up fresh apples and pumpkins and they each offer a unique experience. Here are some favorite places to get out to the country, support local farms, and breath in the fresh, crisp air that only comes once the leaves start changing.
Farmer Pete’s Corn Maze
Farmer Pete’s Corn Maze is located in Kalkaska and offers a fun design that changes each year. It’s a great activity for families and groups of all age.
- Location: 5436 Tyler Rd SE (38.37 mi), Kalkaska, Michigan 49646
- Hours: Friday-Saturday – 10 a.m. – 7 p.m., Sunday-Thursdays by appt. only
- Phone: (810)569-1705
- Cost: $7/person or $25 for a family of 4 or more | Ages 3 & under are free
Friske Orchards Farm Market
If you are looking for the real, authentic “fall” experience with apples, cider, donuts, and endless play in the crisp air, then take a stop at Friske Orchards Farm Market in Ellsworth. They are open now, but you will find the largest variety of apples and fall treats available the first weekend in October. Kids activities include a petting zoo, tractor ride with tour, kid’s room with games and activities, orchard play area, sorghum maze, and Noah’s Ark playland. They also offer U-Pick apples, a fruit stand with fresh fruits and veggies, the Orchard Cafe with apple cider, donuts, pie; a gift shop, and endless views of the farm.
- Location: 10743 N US 31, Ellsworth, MI 49729
- Hours: Monday – Thursday: 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., Friday – Saturday: 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., Sunday: Closed
- Phone: 231-599-2604
Gallagher’s Farm Market
Gallagher’s Farm Market is a family favorite place to stop and enjoy pumpkin donuts and fresh fruits and vegetables. As fall nears, you will notice a huge assortment of choose-your-own pumpkins, decorative gords, squash and more. Kid activities include wooden face cutouts, tractor sandbox, a giant toy barn and farm set to play with, a hay bale maze for even the smallest of kids to run around and enjoy, and plenty of space to run off their energy.
- Location: 7237 E Traverse Hwy, Traverse City, MI 49684
- Hours: 8:00 – 6:00 Daily: June, Sept. & Oct.
- Phone: 231-947-1689
Hoxsie’s Orchard Hill Farm Market
If you are looking for fall fun on the east side of Traverse City, plan a stop to Hoxsie’s Orchard Hill Farm Market! Kid activities include a corn maze, apple cannons (shooting apples out of a cannon? Yes please!), and wagon rides. You will enjoy fresh apple cider, U-Pick apples, pumpkins, and warm pumpkin donuts.
- Location: 6578 M-72 East, Williamsburg, MI 49690
- Hours: Monday – Saturday: 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., Sunday: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. from mid-September – October 31st
- Phone: 231-267-9087
- Cost: Corn Maze: $6 per person; Apple Cannons: $8 per box of apples (12 – 14 apples)
Jacob’s Corn Maze
Have you enjoyed winding through a fun corn maze in a while? Jacob’s Corn Maze is located on the west side of Traverse City and creates an intricate theme every year. This year’s theme is Pure Michigan with the shape of Michigan, the Mackinaw Bridge, a car, boat, apple, cherries, flowers, and more. This larger corn maze takes around 1.5 hours to walk through and a smaller kid’s maze takes between 20 – 30 minutes. Besides the corn maze in Traverse City, you will enjoy U-Pick apples, raspberries, peaches, and strawberries. You can also enjoy tractor drawn and horse drawn wagon rides on the weekends!
- Location: 7100 E Traverse Hwy, Traverse City, MI 49684
- Hours: Starting September 29th, 2018: Open 7 days per week, Sunday – Thursday: 10 – 6; Friday – Saturday: 10 – 9 p.m.
- Phone: (231) 632-MAZE (6293)
- Cost: General Admission – $10.00, Children ages 5-11 – $8.00, Under 4 Free, Group of 20 or more $8.00/person.
- Pahl’s Pumpkin Patch
Where can you take the kids outside of Traverse City for an authentic fall experience? Pahl’s Pumpkin Patch offers pumpkins and a huge variety of kid-friendly activities. Kid activities include: wagon rides through the trail back to a beautiful red bridge, barrel train rides, pony carousel, bouncy horses (free), wooden house, face painting on some weekends, and plenty of animals to see. Make sure to get all your pumpkins, squash, straw, gourds, and corn stalk bundles. Groups can also schedule a time for a fun group outing with a bonfire. Wagon rides and train rides only on the weekends. New this year are the bouncy horses for ADULTS!
- Location: 11168 N. M37 Buckley, MI 49620
- Hours: Open Oct. 1st – Oct. 31st Every Day; Open 7 days a week through Halloween from 10:00 a.m. til 6:30 p.m
- Phone: (231) 269-4400
Cost: Entrance fee is $4.00 (children 4 and under are free); Pumpkins: $0.50 (extra small) up to $20 (extra big), Wagon Ride: $3 per person (preschoolers are FREE), Barrel train rides: $3 per child, Pony carousel: $1.00 per ride.
Rennie Orchards is located in Williamsburg, Michigan and was established in 1938. There is so many things to see besides the 19 different varieties of apples. Kid activities include: hay wagon rides, hay bale maze, Teepee, log cabin, and plenty of space to run. Children love to run up and talk with Sandy Rennie – he is quite the character.
- Location: 11221 Munro Rd, Williamsburg, MI 49690
- Hours: Mon – Sun: 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM in July through October
- Phone: (231) 264-8387, (231) 313-7847